Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Going Bananas

I'm going bananas! Figuratively and literally.....
This rainy, cold weather has really gotten to me. If the old saying of "April showers brings May flowers, " then May is going to be a flower jungle around here. Everything is so soggy and wet. In order to cope, I do what I know works best for my cabin fever- bake!
We're baking peanut butter-banana bread this evening. Of course I found a recipe and totally revamped it (to try to make it a tad healthier) -
I'm renaming it Peanut Better Banana Bread!

Recipe:
2.5 cups spelt flour
3.5 teaspoons baking powder
Blend these 2 together in a bowl.
In separate bowl, mix:
1 cup mashed bananas
1 cup vanilla-flavored almond milk
2 eggs
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 agave nectar
3/4 cup PB
Add dry ingredients to wet, pour into greased loaf pan, bake @ 350 for 50-60 minutes.

I had a little monkey helping me in the kitchen!




I'll let ya know how it turns out.

In other news, I'm headed to the Podiatrist tomorrow to see what he can do about my mechanical flaws!

2 comments:

Jana from Running Vegetarian said...

I toally hear you on the cold rainy weather. We had rain and snow here in So MN. Ick!

That recipe looks tasty! Yes please report how it is. Also what is that flour you used? Is it a special kind?

HudkinsFamily said...

Jana:
The bread turned out a little less tasty than I was hoping :(
Spelt flour is an form of wheat, but it's the whole grain, so it's full of fiber and protein. Plus people who have a wheat allergy can usually handle this flour. It's great b/c it works as well as wheat/white (you usually have to add a little more 'wet' ingredients though, b/c it's so dense it just soaks up moisture).
I try substituting spelt for white as often as possible.