Monday, April 11, 2011

It's kinda like a swap shop....

I decided today that it's time to trade in my running/knee pain for some rehab (makes me think of that Amy Winehouse song "They tried to make me go to rehab and I said No No No." )
Thursday morning is my first PT appointment - I'm so happy that I have access to a rehab right on campus and know the PTs well. I am very lucky in that respect.

Bummed?  Yes! I thought this would just pass on it's own but after yesterday's run, it's obvious that it needs more attention that my current strategy (you know, ignore it and it'll go away). Obviously, the "what you resists, persists" is in full effect here.

Embarassed? A tad. I don't want to be known as the 'gal who used to run.' I also don't want people to see me struggling to achieve a 3-miler while I'm telling them that, "Yeah! I swear I was running 10 -11 miles with ease and at a good pace."

Humbled? You bet. I had a pretty high level of confidence about my running abilities. Now, I'm just thrilled to get a couple of decent workouts in each week. It also makes me look at my abilities in a different light. I was talking (er, complaining) with one of my students about how I trained so long and couldn't run and then I ended with something like, "I know I should be happy that I can even have the chance to train." And he said that on his recent clinical rotation there was a poster in the OT clinic that said, "I used to complain about my shoes until I met a man with no feet."

Hopeful? No doubt! I know this is temporary and rehabing my knee will help ensure a longer running career! I can't wait to get back out on the roads - hoping this will happen sooner vs. later.

I'm sure I'll have an update later in the week.

1 comment:

Hetrick family said...

:) You gotta do what you gotta do! Sounds like your head is in the right place though!