Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Longer Run

Yesterday I ran a 5-miler. It was not easy. I really didn't prepare well for it. I kinda decided @ the last minute to do it. I learned some things:
* 5 miles is longer than my usual 3.1
* Hills are really hard to run up
* The sun makes me hot
* Running makes me thirsty
* Running too soon after eating makes me sick
* I need to plan my runs a little better :)

I ended up finishing the 5 miles in 50:27 - just a little over a 10:00/mile pace. Awesome, considering I felt like throwing up a couple of times while running. I just kept shifting my focus to things like:
* Wow - 5 miles could get me 1/2 way to my parents house or 1/2 way to my work, or even almost 1/2 way to Barnes & Noble (for a really big Frap:)
* In the 50 minutes I was running, we could've been 1/2 way to Pittsburgh.
* Not all runs have to be kick-ass runs!
* 7 months ago, I couldn't have WALKED this route without having someone come pick me up 1/2 way through.

Shortly after I got home and collected my sanity again, I decided to run the 5K in Ebensburg this weekend (OK, maybe I decided this while I was still a little unstable). No expectations for this race since I decided it last minute, I just want to finish proudly!

I didn't run today - did Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred - ouchy! That kicked my butt pretty good! Hopefully I can move tomorrow.

No comments: