Wednesday, December 28, 2011

2012, I'm Coming for You.....

Hey everyone!
Happy 2012 - the year of the dragon!
I'm heading into this year with a good outlook, much hope, good motivation, but with some sensibility! If you've been reading this blog, you know that last year I attempted training for the Cook Forest Marathon but bummed out my knee (that's my official diagnosis) and not only did I not run the 1/2, but I let it get the better of me.
Looking back, I realized I totally over-trained for that race - I went into the training with the, "more is better," mentality. I downloaded a nice training plan, but I honestly thought that if I did more than was planned each day, I would not only be able to run faster, but stronger.....wrong.
I know that now :)
This year will be different - I'll be using my head as much as, if not more, than my legs.
So what's in store for 2012?
In 2012, I will.....
1. Run more than 600 miles. If I keep up my miles as I did this year, I should accomplish this goal, no problem!

2. Finish a 'bigger' race. This would be anything longer than a 10k, since that's the longest run I've done up to this point. Will it be a 10.1k? Maybe a 15k? We'll see. The key word in this goal is finish.

3. PR in a 5k. This is a goal that, a year from now, I might be re-reading and think, "What was I thinking?" But by putting this in writing, I know it will encourage me to incorporate speed work into my training - that's the reason it's in here.

4. Increase my # of group runs. I usually run alone, but in the few times that I've run with someone or a group of people, I realized how much fun it is, so I want to do it more.

5. (Most important for me) Be smart. I need to keep in mind that more is not  better and that I need not take myself so seriously. After being out of the running circuit for almost 2 months in 2011 because of my knee injury (due to me being an idiot and over-training), I realized that I need to have balance in my training (enter my Hal Higdon training plans - which I will follow this time).

That's it? Yep - that's it! I think by making this my list, I'm already working on goal #5!

Any goal out there for you?
Make this your best year yet!

No comments: