Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sometimes a struggle is a good thing

Struggling makes us grow and learn; hell, if everything was as easy as pie, it'd be boring and we'd lose interest in things. I committed to a 10K on October 2 and so begins my training. I found an 8-week training plan, but until I decided for sure that I was going to run it, I'm down to 7 weeks (it's kinda hard to believe that October is only 7 weeks away, huh?). So I jumped into 'Week 2' training and so far I've run 3 days in a row this week (I've been on the every-other-day-plan for quite a while).

Today's run was a 3.5 miler - something I should be able to do quite easily, it's only adding .4 miles onto my typical run. But for some reason I struggled during the run. I just kept telling myself that this struggling-thing is probably good for me, that it means that I'm gaining strength and endurance and that this time next week, I'll be running 4 miles.

I've been learning that running, for me, is much more mental than physical. I can run further and better when I reason my way through things, like I did today.

Tomorrow is a rest day, but for the most part, I'll be running at least 5 days a week from now until Oct. 2.

No comments: